Government will continue to support projects promoting heritage and history of Međimurje

  • Photo /Vijesti/2021/srpanj/13 srpnja/VRH_9235 (1).png

Prime Minister Andrej Plenković said on Tuesday that the project for the reconstruction and revitalisation of the Čakovec Old Town and the local museum of intangible heritage had been completed to show the rich heritage as well as provide evidence of the turbulent past.

The Riznica Međimurja Museum of intangible cultural heritage is located in one of the forts of the Čakovec Old Town and that project, valued at HRK 40.8 million, was financed with EU funds.

The repurposing of the Fort into the Museum has been ongoing since 2018 and 85% of was co-financed from the EU operational programme for competitiveness and cohesion 2014 - 2020 as support to preserving cultural heritage. The remaining 15% was provided by Međimurje County.

The museum covers an area of 2,700 square metres and contains artefacts presenting the heritage and history of Međimurje County, its myths and legends and the story of the Zrinski nobility.

"Visitors to Čakovec, Međimurje and Croatia can have an insight into the life that has impacted Croatia and Međimurje but also all of Europe," said Plenković, attending the final conference on this project.

"Within the framework of HRK 1.5 billion in funds agreed to for Međimurje County to date and more than HRK 900 million for Čakovec alone, it represents one of the most visible and best quality European projects," Plenković said and added that he believes that in cooperation with local government units, the government will realise yet another set of useful and quality projects like this.

" If we take into account of the entire Old Town of the Zrinski in Čakovec, this is the biggest investment ever in Međimurje's cultural heritage, into one of the most valuable monuments of feudal heritage in Croatia," Međimurje County Prefect, Matija Posavec underscored.

Text: Hina