- Published: 10.01.2021.
Plenkovic: System of providing earthquake relief is consolidated and firm
Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said on Sunday that the system of providing relief to the earthquake-hit Sisak-Moslavina County was consolidated and firm, thanking everyone who had selflessly joined the effort of preparing and distributing food and aid to the affected population.
"On behalf of the government, once again I wish to thank the many hospitality workers, cooks, who have spent their time here in solidarity with earthquake victims, distributing thousands of meals, especially in Petrinja. That is a great gesture and we thank them for it," Plenkovic told the press during a visit to Sisak where he watched the removal of the cap from the severely damaged bell tower of the local cathedral.
He said that it had been agreed that the volunteer cooks would continue their work for a while longer, while the task of food preparation and distribution would be taken on by the state-owned company Pleter as of Monday. Food will be prepared partly in Petrinja and partly in Zagreb, where the resources are better, and delivered through the Red Cross.
Speaking of accommodation for the people left homeless by the earthquake who did not want to leave their damaged properties, Plenkovic said that after talks on Thursday and Friday an arrangement had been made with several Croatian companies to provide more than 600 container homes.
These containers will be built within the shortest time possible and will have a toilet, a kitchen, beds and tables as well as connections to electricity and water. Under an arrangement with hotel companies, the government will buy 250 mobile homes and their delivery will start on Monday, the prime minister said, adding that more container homes will be ordered if necessary.
"We are trying to do all we can to ensure safety for our fellow citizens and meet all their needs," Plenkovic said.
Asked by reporters about the fact that many of the houses devastated by the earthquake had been rebuilt after the 1991-1995 war, Plenkovic said that the government's position was absolutely clear -the matter should be investigated.
"We all know that the documentation on post-war reconstruction exists. ... It shows who designed the projects, who carried out the works, who was in charge of supervision and who issued the necessary permits. The government will make this documentation available to the police and the State Prosecutor's Office upon request," the prime minister said.
He announced that the government would put forward a bill on post-earthquake reconstruction on Thursday, after a meeting on Monday with Minister of Physical Planning, Construction and State Assets Darko Horvat who is in consultation with experts.